welcome to socialadvicers. we are going to learn about upavistha konasana(seated wide angle pose), how to do upavistha konasana, steps of upavistha konasana and its benefits.
UPAVISTHA KONASANA (seated wide angle pose)
WHAT IS UPAVISTHA KONASANA?
Upavistha konasana or seated wide angle pose. In Sanskrit “upavistha” means “seated or sitting”, “Kona” means “angle”, and “asana” means pose. the seated wide angle pose opens up the hips and stretches out both the hamstrings, the inner thighs, back, and the shoulders. This pose also improves blood circulation in the entire pelvic and abdominal areas.
HOW TO DO UPAVIStHA KONASANA?
before doing this asana first warm up your body. warming up your body before doing any asana will help you to stretch the body easily and do asana perfectly.
Upavistha konasana BENEFITS:
- It opens the hip while stretching out the entire back side of the body like legs, back, arms.
- It stretches the hamstrings, calves, and inner thighs.
- Upavistha konasana stimulates the entire pelvic region, including the ovaries.
- It also tones the spine and strengthens it.
- Apparently, it calms the brain.
- It releases the groin.
Avoid this pose if you have a serious lower back injury.
If normal lower back injury: sit up high on a folded blanket and keep your torso relatively upright.
Upavistha Konasana STEPS:
- Start in Dandsana seated with a straight spine and legs stretched out in front of you.
- Open your legs to approximately a 90-degree angle. Place your hands on the floor behind you and press your buttocks forward to widen your legs a touch further.
- Contract your thighs and push out through the balls of your feet.
- Make sure that your knees are facing upward toward the ceiling at all times throughout the pose.
- Lengthen your spine, up through the crown of your head. Then with a straight long spine bend forward at the hips, walking your hands forward between your legs.
- With every exhalation, deepen your stretch microscopically until you feel a comfortable stretch in your inner hamstrings and the backs of your legs.
- If you can, bring your breast bone parallel to the floor but just hovering over it, grab onto your big toes with your index and middle finger, or grab the outsides of your feet with both hands while engaging the abs, thighs and continuing to press out through the balls of your feet.